Having a vitamin D deficiency can be dangerous to your health. Some of the most common signs of vitamin D deficiency include:
- Bone disorders
- Cognitive impairment
- Increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease
- Knee and hip pain
- Lack of calcium absorption
- Myopathy (muscle weakness and pain)
People most at-risk for vitamin D deficiency include:
- Those who don’t receive enough vitamin D through diet, including vegans and vegetarians
- Those who don’t receive enough exposure to sunlight
- Those who have dark skin
Many people who are at risk for vitamin D deficiency should take vitamin D supplements.
Types of Vitamin D Supplements Available
Vitamin D supplements are available in several forms, including tablets, coated caplets and softgels. Vitamin D supplements come with various levels of the essential nutrient, so it’s important that you compare brands and potencies to ensure that you’re receiving the right amount for your needs.