Melatonin Tablets, Gummies and More
As a hormone produced by the pineal gland, melatonin is a natural substance that helps people control their sleep and wake cycles. However, many people don’t produce enough naturally; in those cases, melatonin supplements may be necessary.
What Do Melatonin Supplements Do?
Melatonin supplements can help people regulate their sleep patterns. It’s typically turned into a tablet, but supplements are also available as gummies and in other forms.
Melatonin supplements can assist people suffering from:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder (commonly called ADHD)
- Bone loss through osteoporosis
- Cerebral palsy
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Delayed sleep phase syndrome
- Discontinuation symptoms from benzodiazepine drugs
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Jet lag
- Migraine headaches
- Side effects from smoking cessation
- Tardive dyskinesia (a movement disorder)
Some people use melatonin supplements when they have cancer, including cancers of the breast, brain, lung and prostate. It’s also used to mitigate some of the side effects of chemotherapy.